Buy, Sell Or Trade Guns In The Michigan Indiana Ohio Area.

Sorry but due to spam guests can now only post in "Need Help?" section.
See fewer ads! Become a member today!
Check out the "Portal" for NRA News, Gun Reveiws, Hunting related Articles, Recipes and Stories!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winchester Super Magnum 17WSM

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Winchester Super Magnum 17WSM  Empty Winchester Super Magnum 17WSM December 21st 2013, 2:06 am

kimber man

kimber man
Admin

I was fortunate enough to find one of the new 17WSM Savage B-Mags early in the summer. I also got my hands on some ammo for this neat little rimfire. So I thought I would share some of my opinions and findings for those of you looking for a honest opinion/review.

First and foremost this is not the best offering from Savage by a long shot. The stock is weak and the overall fit and finish of the rifle is pretty low to a typical Savage rifle. The good thing is that it is light and shoulders well which is pretty important for a hunting grade rifle.

The bolt cocks on close so it is a little strange the first couple times you cycle it. With some shooting I found it was easy to get used to. I have read on other forums that the stiffness of the bolt will get better with use. Although awkward it is not horrible.

I have gotten my hands on both the 20gr and 25gr ammo. I have not noticed a huge difference in them, meaning my rifle shoots both without a preference. Obviously there is a small difference in where they group, but both group acceptably for me. I have read some pretty bad reviews on the grouping of some of these rifles. I will say that my rifle shoots within 1.5" @ 100 yards.

I really like this rifle and I think that it is going to work out great for me. I purchased it mainly for some back yard vermin control and night time coyote/fox hunting.

I have read several debates over if this new round is better than the 17HMR that so many of us own. My opinion is mixed. I think the 17WSM has a few things going for it as far as the bullet size and the ability to reach out a little further than the 17HMR. On the other side I think the Savage 93 series rifle in 17HMR is going to out shoot the WSM round for punching paper. I also feel the Savage 93 rifles are a little nicer in quality/appearance.

Overall if you are a nighttime hunter and looking for a good hunting grade rifle with some punch by all means buy a B-Mag. If you already own a 17HMR and love that one hole group it can give you may want to pass on the B-Mag. I do not think the WSM round will ever replace the HMR, but offers a little more in some areas.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum